Together with 18 project partners in the Gaia-X 4 Future Mobility project moveID, Datarella develops the required digital identity infrastructure for the mobility of the future. With BOSCH heading the moveID consortium, leading mobility enterprises, Web3 companies, and research organizations create the foundation for autonomous driving and applications leveraging connected vehicles and devices.
Use Cases for the Mobility of the Future
The research project moveID comprises various scenarios of smart traffic management, s.a. parking, charging, or zoning. To create a trusted environment and connect all traffic participants, vehicles, and infrastructure components, s.a. traffic lights, access gates, parking meters, obtain unique digital identities. All identities are managed as self-sovereign identities, a concept known as SSI, for maximum privacy and compliance with GDPR and the Gaia-X framework.
Datarella will co-create the standards and infrastructure for the future of mobility as part of the Gaia-X 4 Future Mobility moveID project, with an overall size of more than €20 million, by Gaia-X, the European Association for Data and Cloud. The three-year project brings together top industry players to build a sovereign digital infrastructure enabling secure, connected, and open mobility, with Datarella, conducting intense research and development as well as leveraging its expertise in creating successful mobility applications, s.a. Deep Parking, and MOBIX. In order to make moveID‘s decentralized digital identity infrastructure usable and to develop winning business models on top of it, B2B and B2C applications will be developed.
„With moveID, we will prove that European research projects like Gaia-X can be managed in an agile, dynamic way, and produce significant meaningful results for all mobility participants. Working with industry leaders like Bosch, or Continental on the one hand, and with Web3 projects and research institutes, on the other hand, collaboration is not a simple phrase – it‘s living reality“, says Datarella CEO Michael Reuter.
The Power of Web3
Besides Datarella, other project participants include Bosch, Ocean Protocol, Airbus, Continental, Fetch.ai, Materna, Denso, WOBCOM, ecsec, htw saar, Atos, Chainstep, ZU, peaq, 51nodes, ITK, DLR, and deltaDAO. The project will feature a strong Web3 component with contributions from leading projects in the space:
- peaq, the Web3 network powering the Economy of Things, will conduct intense research and development within the project. peaq will further build up its layer-one blockchain in line with the co-created requirements and standards, aiming to grant Gaia-X’s moveID the perfect infrastructure for decentralized mobility applications. peaq will also provide its core functions: peaq ID – Self-Sovereign Machine Identities (SSMIs), peaq access, and peaq pay. peaq is built using Substrate and will soon be live on both Kusama as well as Polkadot. It is working on enabling collaboration and interoperability with the Ethereum and Cosmos ecosystems for other Web3 consortia collaborators in Gaia-X.
- 51nodes, a Web3 developing and integration company bring to the project its experience with SSI architecture and implementation in the context of decentralized mobility infrastructure. In addition to the development and integration of various SSI technologies, the focus of work will be on SSI interoperability challenges.
- Through BigchainDB, Ocean Protocol – the Web3 platform to unlock data services for AI and business innovation – is providing key technical infrastructure for moveID to expedite the development of decentralized digital identity infrastructure for European mobility. Essential components of Ocean’s decentralized data marketplace technology, Compute-to-Data, and data pricing mechanisms are being leveraged to build a system architecture that ensures a seamless exchange of information between providers and customers of mobility applications.
- Fetch.ai is developing the infrastructure and tooling for creating Web2 and Web3 AI applications. Fetch-ai Network has a Cosmos SDK-based self-sovereign blockchain ledger and the supporting tools for developing DApps on the network and also the modular Autonomous Economic Agents (AEAs) and the Digital Twin Platforms that can efficiently and securely communicate peer-to-peer and provide interconnectivity with multiple networks. In the context of Gaia-X’s moveID, the AEAs and the Agent framework enable decentralized identities (SSI) and can run on edge devices in a decentralized microservice architecture. All the products support cross-chain interoperability which will help achieve Gaia-X’s vision to support many new multi-stakeholder mobility applications.
- deltaDAO, a web3 software development, integration, and consulting company, will co-develop decentralized data infrastructure and federation services in the context of the broader Gaia-X ecosystem. deltaDAO contributes its extensive knowledge regarding Gaia-X compliance, interoperability, and integration
Peter Busch, Product Owner for Distributed Ledger Technologies (Mobility) at Bosch, said: “Web3 technologies offer a promising digital foundation for future mobility solutions. With moveID, we are setting the foundation for a hyper-connected mobility infrastructure by leveraging self-sovereign device identities and decentralized data sharing to enable hundreds of potential use cases. We are thrilled to be exploring this exciting prospect side by side with some of the leading projects in the decentralized space such as Fetch.ai, peaq, Ocean Protocol, Datarella, 51nodes, and Chainstep.”